Be careful when someone loves you.

Dear readers, fame and glory has been denied. Just this once, the third-person narrative will not be used, because this is personal.

Last week, New York Times European economics correspondent Nelson D Schwartz called me wanting to talk LEGO. I happily obliged. He wanted to know how I thought the company was doing, my opinion on the licensed lines, on the video games, et cetera. I said things like "if LEGO is making money, then I'm fine with it" and "as long as the video games enhance the physical brick experience, I'm all for it" and "I think Prince of Persia was a video game before it was a movie..."

I could kind of sense that I wasn't saying the soundbites he wanted, but he perked back up when I mentioned I was a grad student studying architecture. Naturally, the Architecture series of sets came up, but I can just picture his disappointed face when I said that they didn't interest me, that they were marketed for museum gift shops and non-fans, that any adult fan could build the sets for a quarter the price.

Anyway, the article was published today, without a mention of me. Frowny face. You can read it here, although since I'm not in it, I can't imagine anyone would be interested.

Bonus, I was quoted in a news article about LEGO 5 years ago.

Readers, can you believe reporter Nelson D Schwartz's gall? The entire news story should have been about your dashing author, not some drivel about economics and set designers and the ability to avoid lead poison scandals!

No comments:

Post a Comment